There are 20 other files named readme.mem in the archive. Click here to see a list.
MX V1.1 is a maintenance release of MX. While most of
the work involved re-writing the DECnet handling code for
TOPS-20, however, the following changes were common to both
TOPS-10 and TOPS-20:
1. Improved Logfile Handling and Error Messages
- All errors reported in Postmaster messages now
include the pertinent recipient's address.
- Messages are cleaner and less verbose.
- The "Over Quota" message is only displayed
once. UPS:MX.LOG no longer fills up with these
messages every time someone goes on vacation.
- Most strings written to the logfile contain a
message id. This makes it clear which string
belongs to which mail message.
- UPS:MX.LOG is renamed to UPS:yymmdd.LOG each
night at midnight.
- MX will delete logfiles older than N days
(where N defaults to 30, and is site settable).
The number of days for which MX will keep
old logfiles is contained in location LGDAYS.
The default is 30 days. If you wish to change
this default, deposit the appropriate number of
days in LGDAYS via DDT. If you never want MX
to delete old log files, deposit 0 in LGDAYS.
2. Better DECnet errors displayed in the log file.
When the VAXmail sender encounters a network
error, it used to log the message: "Network error
at node XXXXXX - error occurred opening the link"
(or wherever the error occurred during the Mail-11
protocol). These messages have been improved.
They now say something like:
16-Jan-89 07:00:09 1001 %Unable to connect to node XXXXXX
(No path to destination node)