There are 30 other files named read.me in the archive. Click here to see a list.
Note that two complete and independent GNOSIS "save
sets" exist on the tape, one called "ALGOL VER 7" (which is
valid under ALGOL Version 7) and the other called "ALGOL VER
10" (which is valid under ALGOL Version 10). Be sure to
RESTORE files from the appropriate save set.
I.1 ESSENTIAL STEPS
1. [ ]Store GNOSIS.SAV, HOW.SAV and GNOLIB.REL in
2. [ ]Store GNOSIS.MIC in "MIC:" if your monitor is
Version 6.03 or later; otherwise store GNOSIS.MIC
3. [ ]Store GNOSIS.DOC<555> in "DOC:".
4. [ ]Store GNOSIS.HLP in "HLP:".
I.2 OTHER DESIRABLE STEPS
1. [ ]Store ALGED.SAV and ALGED.DAT in "SYS:".
2. [ ]Store ALGED.HLP in "HLP:".
1. [ ]Restore HOW.GNO from the distribution tape into
2. [ ]Execute the GNOSIS.MIC file with the command "DO
GNOSIS HOW" or "DO SYS:GNOSIS HOW", whichever is
appropriate. Note that it is normal for GNOSIS to
issue a few WARNING messages but abnormal for it to
issue ERROR messages.
3. [ ]Create files in your account with the names
HOW.SRT and HOW.DTA. (HOW will dump data in these
at program exit.)
4. [ ]Type "RUN HOW" and verify that the lesson
5. [ ]Type "R HOW" to verify that the system copy of
"HOW" will execute.
6. [ ]Delete "HOW.*" from your account.