There are no other files named topstape9.mem in the archive.
COMBINED TOPS10/TOPS20 INTEGRATION TOOLS distribution
The information in this document is subject to change
without notice and should not be construed as a commitment
by Digital Equipment Corporation. Digital Equipment
Corporation assumes no responsibility for any errors which
may appear in this document.
This tape contains the current collection of tools in
the Integration Tools Clearinghouse, which is a function of
the Integration Program Office of Digital Equipment
Corporation's Large Systems Marketing Group. These tools
are distributed on an "as is" basis; Digital makes no
warranty as the the correctness or operation of any of these
tools. All tools are distributed as received from their
various sources, along with any updates that are made
This is the first combined TOPS10/TOPS20 tools tapes.
The format of the tape has been changed to accomodate both
operating systems: The first two tape files are the TOPS10
tools (identical to TOPS10 tools tape 5). The third and
final tape file is the TOPS20 distribution. Each
distribution is made up of two savesets (TOPS10 uses two
tape files, while TOPS20 puts both savesets into 1 tape
file). The first in each case is a short overview of the
tools; information on the directories containing specific
tools is also included in the latter. The second saveset in
each case is the actual tools distribution.
To retrieve the tools, TOPS10 users need do nothing out
of the ordinary; simply restore the first two savesets.
TOPS20 users must issue the following command after mounting
the tape and before running DUMPER, and again whenever a
REWIND command is subsequently issued in DUMPER:
@SKIP MT0: 2 FILES
Note that there are two different format tapes
comprising the tools collection: TOPS and VMS. Typically,
distribution of the tools consists of both tapes. The TOPS
tape contains almost all of the tools, but usually does not
have the binaries for programs which run on VMS. The TOPS10
portion of the combined TOPS tape also includes most tools,
but is further limited to those tools which have filenames
six characters or less (SED, for instance, is not on the
TOPS10 tape for this reason). The VMS tape, in BACKUP
format, contains all tools which run under VMS, including
their binaries, as well as most of the machine readable
integration documentation which is available.
Note also that this release of the TOPS20 tools tape
removes the older 10BACKUP and DUMPER/DUMPERC/DUMPER2 tools,
which have been replaced by the new DUMPER32/SI_DUMPER tool,
in order to conserve space. The current release of the VMS
tools tape, version 8, still includes the old and the new
tools, but will also remove the old tools in a future
The Tools on this tape are:
1. [TOOLS.CASESTDY]: This directory contains the
various case study writeups from users who have
moved applications from TOPS to VMS. It contains
the following writeups:
1. CASE3ICI.*: CASE STUDY #3:
COBOL/DBMS/TRAFFIC20 - This is a case study
report, on a customer (ICI) who converted a
major application from TOPS20
COBOL/DBMS/TRAFFIC-20 to VMS COBOL/DBMS/TDMS,
with very good success.
2. CASE2DIS.*: CASE STUDY #2: DIS - This is a
set of case study notes from Digital's
Information Systems MIS department, outlining
what they encountered in their move from TOPS10
to VMS over the preceding years.
3. CASE1.TXT: This is a study of the move of an
application from TOPS20 COBOL and DBMS to VMS
COBOL and VMS. It includes hits on moving
COBOL and DBMS source programs to VMS, as well
as information on the overall methodology used.
It also contains help on how to move the
environment in which an application exists from
one machine to another, and gives detailed
examples on the use of VMS command procedures
as a means for creating such an environment.
4. CASE4.MEM: This is a study of a FORTRAN
application moving from TOPS20 to VMS, and
covers areas such as characters/word, run time
differences, precision, etc.
2. [TOOLS.CBLDOC1]: COBOL DOCUMENTATION and
CONVERSION AIDS. This is documentation on the
differences between TOPS COBOL and VAX-11 COBOL.
This saveset also includes a number of of COBOL
routines useful for doing such conversions, which
are referred to in the documentation.
3. [TOOLS.CIS]: This is documentation on a usage
accounting package for VMS which is available from
a third party company.
4. [TOOLS.COMPARE]: This directory contains various
documents from numerous sources which compare some
aspect of TOPS10 or TOPS20 with VMS. Included are
documents on the following subjects:
1. 202VMS.*: TOPS20-to-VMS user documentation.
This is documentation on some of the use-level
differences between TOPS20 and VMS, including
2. CMDUTL10.*: Comparison of various commands and
utilities between TOPS10 and VMS.
3. FORTRAN.HLP: Compares TOPS FORTRAN vs VMS
4. BASIC.HLP: Compares TOPS BASIC vs VMS BASIC.
5. TECO.HLP: Compares TOPS10 TECO with VMS TECO.
5. [TOOLS.COMPIL]: COMPIL Class Commands for VMS -
This implements the TOPS10/20 commands such as
EXECUTE and COMPIL. This includes the ability to
determine the appropriate language processor for a
given source file, as well as the ability to
conditionally compile the source module(s) when
their creation date is more recent that that of the
relocatable binary file(s).
6. [TOOLS.COMPIL2]: This is another implementation of
the TOPS Compile-Class commands for VMS.
7. [TOOLS.COMTEN1]: Command file library for TOPS10,
version 1. Similar to the TOPS-20 command file
library, but for TOPS10 commands.
8. [TOOLS.COM]: Command file library for TOPS20,
version 1. This implements many of the more common
TOPS20 commands on VMS as .COM command files.
9. [TOOLS.CONBAT]: This is a tool that runs on
TOPS-10 and TOPS-20. It can be used to convert
TOPS-10 or TOPS-20 BATCH control files to similar
VMS command files for batch execution. It also
converts TOPS-20 CMD and TOPS-10 and TOPS-20 MIC
files. The documentation and sources are on this
tape. The executable binaries are included on the
10. [TOOLS.CONVRT]: CONVRT. This is a FORTRAN program
to read BACKUP INTERCHANGE tapes on VMS.
11. [TOOLS.CRC*]: Various tools from the Clinical
Research Centre for use on DECSYSTEM-20 systems.
There are 4 subdirectories containing the tools,
along with a 00README file explaining the tools,
their functions, and the purposes of the various
12. [TOOLS.DECNET10]: DECnet-10 tools. These tools
aid in the use of DECnet-10 between TOPS10 and VMS.
Included are various patches from a DECnet-10 user.
13. [TOOLS.DSCONV1]: 1022/1032 conversion aid. This
tool, submitted by Software House, Inc. for use
with their SYSTEM-1022 product, is used to convert
1022 database definitions to 1032 for use under
VMS. The tools itself runs under TOPS20 and
14. [TOOLS.EMACSDOC]: EMACS documentation: This is
the documentation file for a VMS version of EMACS
which is commercially available outside of Digital.
15. [TOOLS.HEXIFY]: This is a VMS MACRO program to
convert VMS binary files into ASCII, and back
again; it is useful when transferring VMS binaries
over networks, etc., in which the files must
actually reside on a non-VMS system for some period
16. [TOOLS.HOST]: This is a newer version of the
program used to "Set Host" from TOPS20 to VMS
systems; it handles video terminal escape
17. [TOOLS.ISACON]: This is a program that can be used
to simplify moving TOPS COBOL ISAM files to VMS.
It reads the file description from the TOPS COBOL
program, generates a TOPS COBOL program to unload
the file, a VAX COBOL program to reload the file,
and a CDDL description of the data for use with the
VAX Common Data Dictionary. The sources and
parameter files, as well as the documentation, are
included here. The executable binaries are on the
18. [TOOLS.LOCATE]: LOCATE Command for TOPS10 -
Simulate the TOPS10 LOCATE command to control
network printing on remote nodes.
19. [TOOLS.MVUSRS]: A utility program that helps move
TOPS-10 and TOPS-20 user accounts to VMS. See the
MVUSRS.DOC file for more information.
20. [TOOLS.PHONE20]: A program for TOPS-20 that talks
to the VMS PHONE program. There is also a server
that must be run on TOPS-20 to allow VMS users to
PHONE the TOPS-20 system.
21. [TOOLS.POP]: This is a command file which
implements the TOPS20 POP command under VMS,
allowing one to return to a previous user context.
22. [TOOLS.RECOG3]: This is a package which implements
the TOPS20 Command JSYS command line facility for
VMS V3 systems.
23. [TOOLS.RECOGV4]: This is a package which
implements the TOPS20 Command JSYS command line
facility for VMS V4.x systems. It is essentially
RECOG3 updated for use with version 4.x of VMS.
24. [TOOLS.REV]: REV for VMS - This is a command file
implementation of the TOPS20 utility REV, which is
used to manage and cleanup disk directories.
25. [TOOLS.SED]: SED version 1. Superseded by SED
26. [TOOLS.SED2]: SED Version 2. This is the VMS
version of the popular TOPS10/20 screen editor SED.
27. [TOOLS.SFTOVX]: This is a set of APLSF routines to
aid in converting APLSF workspaces to VAX-11 APL
workspaces. Documentation includes information on
the various differences between APLSF and VAX-11
28. [TOOLS.SIALTER011]: This is a character set
29. [TOOLS.SIDUMPER011]: This is a program that reads
TOPS-20 DUMPER and TOPS-10 BACKUP tapes under VMS.
30. [TOOLS.SPSS*]: SPSS conversion library. This is a
set of routines used for converting SPSS libraries.
31. [TOOLS.TAPE11]: This is a TOPS10 program for
handling VMS ANSI tapes, both reading and writing.
32. [TOOLS.TAPEINFO]: This documentation covers the
exact steps necessary to copy files from TOPS20 to
VMS, using labeled tapes.
33. [TOOLS.TEACHVMS]: TEACHVMS - Online teaching
facility. This is a tool useful in teaching
existing TOPS20 users the commands of VMS. It
functions by allowing the user to type in TOPS20
commands in an environment quite similar to TOPS20
(TEACHVMS runs under VMS), and responds with the
corresponding VMS command.
34. [TOOLS.TELL10], [TOOLS.TELLVMS]: TELL is a program
for use between TOPS10/DECnet-10 and VMS. It
allows a user under TOPS10 to issue commands which
are executed under VMS on a specified VMS node.
35. [TOOLS.TENVAX]: This is documentation on the
TOPS-10 program used in moving files from TOPS-10
to VMS via magtapes. The actual program is
distributed on TOPS-10.
36. [TOOLS.TRANSFORTV15]: This is version 1.5 of the
TRANSFORT Fortran program translator. TRANSFORT
facilitates migration of TOPS-10 and TOPS-20
FORTRAN programs to VAXes running VMS.
37. [TOOLS.TVAXV1]: TVAXV1 - TV editor for VMS. This
is an implementation of the editor TV from TOPS20
(and DTECO from TOPS10) under VMS.
38. [TOOLS.TVAXV2]: TVAXV2 - version 2 of TVAX. This
also includes TV.COM and TV.CLD, which are used to
implement TV as a foreign command.
39. [TOOLS.VMAIL]: This is a set of servers (VMAIL,
VMAILR) for use under TOPS20 to connect TOPS20 MS
mail with VAXMAIL. THIS TOOLS BECOMES OBSOLETE
WITH MS V11
40. [TOOLS.XMAIL]: This is a mail program for VMS,
totally compatible with the existing mail program
MAIL, but with most of the TOPS MS features. Note
that this version only runs under version 3.x of
It is expected that when others make modifications,
either in terms of additional functionality or simply bug
fixes, that the new versions be sent back to Digital, so
that the most recent copies will be distributed to others.
The address to send such updates, as well as new tools for
submission to the Clearinghouse, is
ATTN: Reed Powell
Digital Equipment Corp.
One Iron Way
Marlboro, Mass. 01752