There are no other files named t20tape6.mem in the archive.
TOPS20 INTEGRATION TOOLS distribution
The information in this document is subject to change without
notice and should not be construed as a commitment by Digital
Equipment Corporation. Digital Equipment Corporation assumes no
responsibility for any errors which may appear in this document.
This tape contains in TOPS-20 DUMPER native format the current
collection of tools in the Integration Tools Clearinghouse, which is a
function of the Integration Program Office of Digital Equipment
Corporation's Large Systems Marketing Group. These tools are
distributed on an "as is" basis; Digital makes no warranty as the the
correctness or operation of any of these tools. All tools are
distributed as received from their various sources, along with any
updates that are made available.
There are two (2) savesets on this tape. Saveset number one is
named T20TAPE6, and contains the directory of the entire tape, and
this documentation file on the tape's contents. The second saveset is
named LSMTOOL6, and contains all of the [TOOLS.*] directories.
Note that there are a total of three different format tapes
comprising the tools collection: TOPS10, TOPS20, and VMS. Typically,
distribution of the tools consists of EITHER a TOPS10 or TOPS20 tape,
and the VMS tape. The TOPS20 tape contains almost all of the tools,
but usually does not have the binaries for programs which run on VMS.
The TOPS10 tape also includes most tools, but is further limited to
those tools which have filenames six characters or less (SED, for
instance, is not on the TOPS10 tape for this reason). The VMS tape,
in BACKUP format, contains all tools which run under VMS, including
their binaries, as well as most of the machine readable integration
documentation which is available.
The Tools on this tape are:
1. [TOOLS.10BACKUP]: This is a VMS program for reading TOPS10
BACKUP format tapes. It includes help files, as well as an
HLB file for inclusion in the system help file.
2. [TOOLS.CASESTDY]: This directory contains the various case
study writeups from users who have moved applications from
TOPS to VMS. It contains the following writeups:
1. CASE3ICI.*: CASE STUDY #3: COBOL/DBMS/TRAFFIC20 - This
is a case study report, on a customer (ICI) who converted
a major application from TOPS20 COBOL/DBMS/TRAFFIC-20 to
VMS COBOL/DBMS/TDMS, with very good success.
2. CASE2DIS.*: CASE STUDY #2: DIS - This is a set of case
study notes from Digital's Information Systems MIS
department, outlining what they encountered in their move
from TOPS10 to VMS over the preceding years.
3. CASE1.TXT: This is a study of the move of an application
from TOPS20 COBOL and DBMS to VMS COBOL and VMS. It
includes hits on moving COBOL and DBMS source programs to
VMS, as well as information on the overall methodology
used. It also contains help on how to move the
environment in which an application exists from one
machine to another, and gives detailed examples on the
use of VMS command procedures as a means for creating
such an environment.
4. CASE4.MEM: This is a study of a FORTRAN application
moving from TOPS20 to VMS, and covers areas such as
characters/word, run time differences, precision, etc.
3. [TOOLS.CBLDOC1]: COBOL DOCUMENTATION and CONVERSION AIDS.
This is documentation on the differences between TOPS COBOL
and VAX-11 COBOL. This saveset also includes a number of of
COBOL routines useful for doing such conversions, which are
referred to in the documentation.
4. [TOOLS.CIS]: This is documentation on a usage accounting
package for VMS which is available from a third party
5. [TOOLS.COMPARE]: This directory contains various documents
from numerous sources which compare some aspect of TOPS10 or
TOPS20 with VMS. Included are documents on the following
1. 202VMS.*: TOPS20-to-VMS user documentation. This is
documentation on some of the use-level differences
between TOPS20 and VMS, including system commands.
2. CMDUTL10.*: Comparison of various commands and utilities
between TOPS10 and VMS.
3. FORTRAN.HLP: Compares TOPS FORTRAN vs VMS FORTRAN.
4. BASIC.HLP: Compares TOPS BASIC vs VMS BASIC.
5. TECO.HLP: Compares TOPS10 TECO with VMS TECO.
6. [TOOLS.COMPIL]: COMPIL Class Commands for VMS - This
implements the TOPS10/20 commands such as EXECUTE and COMPIL.
This includes the ability to determine the appropriate
language processor for a given source file, as well as the
ability to conditionally compile the source module(s) when
their creation date is more recent that that of the
relocatable binary file(s).
7. [TOOLS.COMPIL2]: This is another implementation of the TOPS
Compile-Class commands for VMS.
8. [TOOLS.COMTEN1]: Command file library for TOPS10, version 1.
Similar to the TOPS-20 command file library, but for TOPS10
9. [TOOLS.COM]: Command file library for TOPS20, version 1.
This implements many of the more common TOPS20 commands on
VMS as .COM command files.
10. [TOOLS.CONBAT]: This is a tool that runs on TOPS-10 and
TOPS-20. It can be used to convert TOPS-10 or TOPS-20 BATCH
control files to similar VMS command files for batch
execution. It also converts TOPS-20 CMD and TOPS-10 and
TOPS-20 MIC files. The documentation and sources are on this
tape. The executable binaries are included on the TOPS
11. [TOOLS.CONVRT]: CONVRT. This is a FORTRAN program to read
BACKUP INTERCHANGE tapes on VMS.
12. [TOOLS.DECNET10]: DECnet-10 tools. These tools aid in the
use of DECnet-10 between TOPS10 and VMS. Included are
various patches from a DECnet-10 user.
13. [TOOLS.DSCONV1]: 1022/1032 conversion aid. This tool,
submitted by Software House, Inc. for use with their
SYSTEM-1022 product, is used to convert 1022 database
definitions to 1032 for use under VMS. The tools itself runs
under TOPS20 and TOPS10.
14. [TOOLS.DUMPER]: DUMPER Version 1. This tool has been
superseded by DUMPER version 2.
15. [TOOLS.DUMPER2]: DUMPER Version 2. This is a program that
reads both DUMPER and BACKUP tapes on VMS.
16. [TOOLS.DUMPERC]: This is another implementation, in C, of a
program for VMS which reads TOPS20 DUMPER format tapes.
17. [TOOLS.EMACSDOC]: EMACS documentation: This is the
documentation file for a VMS version of EMACS which is
commercially available outside of Digital.
18. [TOOLS.HEXIFY]: This is a VMS MACRO program to convert VMS
binary files into ASCII, and back again; it is useful when
transferring VMS binaries over networks, etc., in which the
files must actually reside on a non-VMS system for some
period of time.
19. [TOOLS.HOST]: This is a newer version of the program used to
"Set Host" from TOPS20 to VMS systems; it handles video
terminal escape sequences properly.
20. [TOOLS.ISACON]: This is a program that can be used to
simplify moving TOPS COBOL ISAM files to VMS. It reads the
file description from the TOPS COBOL program, generates a
TOPS COBOL program to unload the file, a VAX COBOL program to
reload the file, and a CDDL description of the data for use
with the VAX Common Data Dictionary. The sources and
parameter files, as well as the documentation, are included
here. The executable binaries are on the TOPS tapes.
21. [TOOLS.LOCATE]: LOCATE Command for TOPS10 - Simulate the
TOPS10 LOCATE command to control network printing on remote
22. [TOOLS.PHONE20]: A program for TOPS-20 that talks to the VMS
PHONE program. There is also a server that must be run on
TOPS-20 to allow VMS users to PHONE the TOPS-20 system.
23. [TOOLS.POP]: This is a command file which implements the
TOPS20 POP command under VMS, allowing one to return to a
previous user context.
24. [TOOLS.RECOG3]: This is a package which implements the
TOPS20 Command JSYS command line facility for VMS V3 systems.
25. [TOOLS.REV]: REV for VMS - This is a command file
implementation of the TOPS20 utility REV, which is used to
manage and cleanup disk directories.
26. [TOOLS.SED]: SED version 1. Superseded by SED version 2.
27. [TOOLS.SED2]: SED Version 2. This is the VMS version of the
popular TOPS10/20 screen editor SED.
28. [TOOLS.SFTOVX]: This is a set of APLSF routines to aid in
converting APLSF workspaces to VAX-11 APL workspaces.
Documentation includes information on the various differences
between APLSF and VAX-11 APL.
29. [TOOLS.SPSS*]: SPSS conversion library. This is a set of
routines used for converting SPSS libraries.
30. [TOOLS.TAPE11]: This is a TOPS10 program for handling VMS
ANSI tapes, both reading and writing.
31. [TOOLS.TAPEINFO]: This documentation covers the exact steps
necessary to copy files from TOPS20 to VMS, using labeled
32. [TOOLS.TEACHVMS]: TEACHVMS - Online teaching facility. This
is a tool useful in teaching existing TOPS20 users the
commands of VMS. It functions by allowing the user to type
in TOPS20 commands in an environment quite similar to TOPS20
(TEACHVMS runs under VMS), and responds with the
corresponding VMS command.
33. [TOOLS.TELL10], [TOOLS.TELLVMS]: TELL is a program for use
between TOPS10/DECnet-10 and VMS. It allows a user under
TOPS10 to issue commands which are executed under VMS on a
specified VMS node.
34. [TOOLS.TENVAX]: This is documentation on the TOPS-10 program
used in moving files from TOPS-10 to VMS via magtapes. The
actual program is distributed on TOPS-10.
35. [TOOLS.TVAXV1]: TVAXV1 - TV editor for VMS. This is an
implementation of the editor TV from TOPS20 (and DTECO from
TOPS10) under VMS.
36. [TOOLS.TVAXV2]: TVAXV2 - version 2 of TVAX. This also
includes TV.COM and TV.CLD, which are used to implement TV as
a foreign command.
37. [TOOLS.VMAIL]: This is a set of servers (VMAIL, VMAILR) for
use under TOPS20 to connect TOPS20 MS mail with VAXMAIL.
38. [TOOLS.XMAIL]: This is a mail program for VMS, totally
compatible with the existing mail program MAIL, but with most
of the TOPS MS features. Note that this version only runs
under version 3.x of VMS.
It is expected that when others make modifications, either in
terms of additional functionality or simply bug fixes, that the new
versions be sent back to Digital, so that the most recent copies will
be distributed to others. The address to send such updates, as well
as new tools for submission to the Clearinghouse, is
Large Systems Marketing
Digital Equipment Corp.
One Iron Way
Marlboro, Mass. 01752